Complete health protection for your child and family
When you bank the umbilical cord lining, you are banking the stem cells found in it. The patented technology available at Cordlife allows the isolation of EpSCs and MSCs from the umbilical cord lining. In contrast, when you bank cord blood, you are banking stem cells found in it which are mostly hematopoietic (or blood forming) stem cells.
Storing both cord blood and umbilical cord lining will allow maximum recovery of all types of stem cells, thus increasing one’s options for possible therapeutic applications in the future. The patented technology provided by Cordlife allows isolation and expansion of EpSCs and MSCs, two types of stem cells found in the umbilical cord lining but not present in cord blood.
By storing a combination of HSCs, MSCs and EpSCs, you are availing your child to be part of a medical revolution with the access to the growing applications of stem cells and the therapeutic potential that they hold. These cells, being able to be collected at birth only, are the youngest and most potent cells available.
Here are 8 top reasons why you should consider cord lining banking for your baby:
- Cord lining stem cells have immune-modulating characteristics. Therefore matching of stem cells between donor and the patient may not be required, which makes them useful both for your baby and other members in the family;
- With cord lining stem cells, your baby and family members will have more treatment options in the future, especially for disorders* that are incurable today such as stroke and heart attack;
- Cord lining stem cells can help to increase the success rate of a cord blood transplant;
- Cord lining contains two types of powerful stem cells as opposed to one type from Wharton’s Jelly, another part of the umbilical cord;
- When you store cord lining for your baby and family, you are storing the original source of stem cells, which can be used to support multiple medical treatments whenever needed;
- Compared to other sources such as bone marrow and adipose tissue , stem cells from cord lining are younger with better expansion capacity and patients receiving such stem cells have lower risk of graft versus host disease;
- Using cryogenic storage method, cord lining can remain viable for a long time. This means that the therapeutic value of cord lining stem cells are well-preserved until the need for treatment arises;
- Your baby only has one chance in a lifetime to have his/her cord lining collected as this painless and harmless process must be done at birth.
Potential therapy with cord lining stem cells
MSCs and EpSCs are currently being evaluated in more than 300 clinical trials for the treatment of medical conditions including heart disease, stroke, spinal cord injury, cornea repair as well as wound healing such as burns and diabetic ulcers. The table outlines some of the potential applications with MSCs and EpSCs. As clinical research continues to take place globally, this list will continue to grow with time.
Cordlife's Exclusive: Epithelial stem cells (EpSCs)
|Disorders investigated in MSC Clinical Trials||Disorders investigated in EpSC Clinical Trials|
World Health Organisation (Online), last accessed 1 August 2011
Shukla, et. al. 2010. Emerging Trends in Diabetic Foot Ulcer Management in India, The Int’l Journal of Lower Extremity Wounds, 9(3) 111-2